Book Vs Movie
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
The 1987 Fannie Flagg Novel Vs the 1991Classic Film
“Towanda!” It’s Pride Month here in the States so the Margos decided to revisit a classic Book Vs Movie ep–Fried Green Tomatoes and redo it altogether. We loved talking about Fannie Flagg (a regular of game shows like Match Game for years) and the BIG questions from the book & movie
- Who is Ninny Threadgoode, exactly?
- Are they or aren’t they? (Spoiler–they are!)
At the time, there were major films that had a lesbian romance that was front & center to the plot. Many folks were confused as to the exact nature of the relationship between Idgie Threagoode and Ruth Jamison. (Just take a look over at Good Reads and you will still find confusion on that!)
However, the Margos get right into the relationship between our leads plus the other cast of characters including Evelyn Couch, Sipsey, Big George, Smokey Lonesome and Buddy Threadgoode. There is so much southern goodness here, you will be craving fried green tomatoes when you are done listening to our show!
So between the novel and the movie–which did we like better? Click the link at the bottom to find out.
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The intriguing life story of Fannie Flagg and her passionate feminism
- The incredible cast including Kathy Bates (Evelyn Couch,) Mary Stuart Masterson (Idgie Threadgoode,) Mary-Louise Parker (Ruth Jamison,) Jessica Tandy (Ninny Threadgoode,) Cicely Tyson (Sipsey,) Chris O’Donnell (Buddy Threadgoode,) Stan Shaw (Big George,) and Timothy Scott (Smokey Lonesome.)
- The controversial nature of Ruth and Idgie’s relationship as it is described in the book and film
- Why Margo D. is terrified of bees
- The one plot point in the movie that drives Margo P. crazy!
- “Towanda” crashes her car
- Idgie on trial for Frank’s murder
- Idgie and Big George rescues Ruth
- Outro music by Thomas Newman