Book Vs Movie (Replay)
“Ready Player One”
The Margos Put on Their Game-Faces in This Hyper 80s Ep
The Margos are feeling stoked about this 1980s-centric soaked episode talking about a much-requested book/movie Ready Player One from first time author Ernest Cline. This pop-culture stuffed tale features more gamer references than anything we have remotely covered in the past so we are a bit nervous about how accurate we will be, (Be kind if you are a first-time listener!)
Both book and movie have the same basic plot–set in the miserable 2040s, Wade Watts is a teenage orphan who wishes for a life outside the stacked trailer parks. In fact, most people are unhappy with the real world and choose to escape to the virtual world known as OASIS. Created by shy genius James Halliday, the OASIS survives after his recent death but he left several clues (“easter eggs”) for one person to discover and inherit his entire fortune and corporation.
Wade (who goes by the moniker Parzival in OASIS) along with his crush Art3mis, best friend Aech and pals Daito and Sho is determined to find every easter egg in the hunt and his vast knowledge of both popular and obscure pop culture trivia sends him on an amazing journey.
Cline sold the book and movie within days of each other in 2010 and serves as the co-screenwriter of the Steven Spielberg adaptation. (We seem to cover a ton of Spielberg on this show!)
Which version did the Margo like better? Check out the link at the bottom of the page to find out.
In this ep the Margos discuss :
- The interesting “slam poetry” past of author Ernest Cline
- The major differences between the book and the Spielberg movie
- The plethora of pop culture references featured in both
- Which artists and musicians the Margos feel were wrongfully excluded
- The casting of the movie including Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Lena Waithe, Ben Mendelsohn, Mark Rylance, and Simon Pegg.
- Ready Player One first trailer
- Parzival/.Wade (Tye Sheridan) and Art3mis/ Samantha (Olivia Cooke) at the nightclub
- Sorrento (Ben Mendelsohn) meets Wade
- Aech/Helen in “The Shining”
- James Halliday (Mark Rylance) gives Wade the “jade egg”
- Outro Music: Jump by Van Halen