Book Vs Movie
Yes, it was a book first and the original star was Chris Farley!
Did you not know that Shrek was a book first? Well, it certainly was and the Margos are so excited to talk about the interesting beginnings of the 1990 children’s book by author/illustrator William Steig.
At first, Steven Spielberg (he sure turns up pon the show quite a bit!) bought the rights for Dreamworks and wanted Steve Martin involved. Later on, Chris Farley worked on the film with Eddie Murphy and was 90% done with dialogue when he died in 1997.
Mike Myers came on board in 2000 and a Scottish ogre was born.
In this episode, we talk about the many differences between the original book & the movie to decide which we like better.
In this ep the Margos discuss:
- The background of author & illustrator William Steig
- The basic differences between the book & movie.
- How the script changed over the years
- The cast of the movie including Meyers (Shrek,) Murphy (Donkey,) Diaz (Princess Fiona,) Lithgow (Lord Farquaad,) and Vincent Cassell (Monsieur Hood.)
- Shrek trailer
- “Shrek is like an onion”
- “Fiona Vs Monsieur Hood”
- “The muffin man!”
- Outro music I’m a Believer” by Smash Mouth